Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Changing Computer SID

I've been working on a SharePoint project that requires a domain controller, an IIS web farm and a SQL Server. In order to quickly setup my development environment, I use Virtual Server 2005 and created a number of virtual machines and set them up in an isolated virtual network.

I started out by setting up a barebone Windows Server 2003 with SP2 and .Net Framework 2.0. After all the security updates have been applied, I copied the virtual hard drive (.vhd) file, renaming it and attached to the new virtual machines. I brought them up one by one and renamed them. Once I got through all four, they all came up with no problem.

When I promoted the DC and start joining the first member server things also went pretty well until I tried to logon to the member server with a domain account. The error message I received was:

The name or security ID (SID) of the domain specified is inconsistent with the trust information for that domain

This error occurred because I used only one installation of Windows 2003 Server. The SID is the same on all of my virtual machines because I just simply copied the .vhd file and renamed it.

The solution was to download NewSID utility from SysInterals (now owned by Microsoft). The tool allows you to change SID as well as computer name and works wonderfully in this situation.

Here's a few tips for those who might run into this same scenario:

1. Run NewSID when you bring up a clone server/computer and let it do the rename for you. This will save you from rename the computer, reboot, login then change the SID only to reboot again.

2. Run NewSID before you join the member server to the domain. This is because it will save you from all the hassle of joining domain, reboot, unjoin, reboot, change SID reboot and rejoin domain...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brian. I clone XP virtual hard drive images for use with Parallels deployment on the Mac. I had struggled for some time with issues that had been traced to SID duplication. This makes life so much easier for me. I just ran my test on a reference machine and on one to be deployed and cut hours off my build time. ModMoMusic@gmail.com